From on High

I retort. You decide.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Grade Inflation

Princeton, the place where I spent my formative college years, recently instituted a unversity-wide policy whereby professors can award no more than 35% of A- grades or above. As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is a good and long-overdue measure to curb grade inflation. One professor, John Fleming disagreed in a recent newspaper article, saying:

"Everybody tells us that we take nothing but geniuses into the freshman class. It seems odd to me that these geniuses would get here and suddenly only a third of them would be A students."

The logic of this argument seems clearly flawed to me. It's like saying that because everyone at the Olympics is a superb athlete, all of the competitors should get gold medals. The point of having a grading system is not to rank students according to some national standard. It's to compare their work to that of their fellow students. I know first-hand that while most Princeton students are very smart, there is a fairly wide range of ability level and a very wide range of effort level within the student body. I know that getting a B or (gasp) C can be traumatic for an "organization kid"; but unless grades actually reflect differences, it's just not worth having an evaluative system at all.

Speaking of which, Yale Law School's famed system of honors/pass/low pass/fail is pretty much akin to the system at places like Princeton pre-grade infation. It effectively has become a system of "A's" and "non A's", since Low Passes and Fails are all but extinct. Because that system has been the main source of my relatively stress-free life over the past two years, I'm going to be completely hypocritical and say I hope Yale doesn't follow Princeton's lead (and my advice).

3 Comments:

Blogger From on High said...

Lindsey makes a good point; however, it seems that almost all of the grade inflation problems at Princeton were occurring in humanities/social science courses. Professors in the sciences typically ahdere to more of a bell curve system and are usually successful at designing tests that yield a fairly wide distribution of scores. Nonetheless, I agree that in cases where more than 35% of students get all or almost all of the questions right, then A's should not be limited to a set quota. At the same time, perhaps that would be an indication of a teacher whose tests are too easy.

12:30 PM  
Blogger anon said...

Yeah people who took science courses always got screwed, no matter what university they attended. My friend and I have nearly identicle LSATS, identicle grades in the philosophy department and I assuming we both received glowing recommendations. But she also had a science major, where as my second major was another humanities subject. So despite her two degrees, in of which she had a near 4.0, she still got screwed terms of law school admissions because of a comparatively lower gpa in the science classes.

What I don't understand is why admissions offices don't take that into consideration...

9:01 PM  
Blogger anon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home