From on High

I retort. You decide.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

I [heart] New York

So i just took the subway up from the office (yes, I was there on a weekend), and in my subway car were a bunch of menonite women pushing baby carriages, a family of tourists from India, a group of friends/tourists from Japan, a couple from somewhere in the southern U.S. (based on their accent), a few others who seemed like Native New Yorkers, and myself. I learned everyone's background mostly from the jovial conversations that people were having during the trip. Why was everyone in such a good mood? I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with the conductor, who was about the happiest-sounding MTA employee I've ever encoutered; he repeatedly made entertaining announcements like "Turn that frown upside down. Smiling Burns Calories" and "You are just beneath city hall, home to his honor the Mayor Michael Bloomberg". It also may have been due to the three guys who came into the car and sang African American spirituals (people gave tips generously).

Say whatever you want about NYC, but there are days when you can't help but admit it's pretty damn cool....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home